Friday, June 11, 2010

'hawks Rock



Yes, I jumped on the bandwagon. Yes, a couple years I thought the Hawks referred to the Atlanta Hawks. Yes, I recently learned what Icing means.

Despite this, when I first watched the Chicago Blackhawks play this year, I was hooked. The team rocks, for so many reasons: young, big, strong, and lightening fast.

So when the hawks won the cup, I was hoping the parade would be on Friday, one of my days with the kiddos. Well, as luck would have it, we were able to head downtown. When M found out last night that we were going to parade today, she couldn't contain herself. Then she found out we were taking the train down...she didn't know which was more exciting.






THEN, when we actually made it downtown, with balmy temps and mobs of people, M had her breakdown. We waited across from Daley Plaza for for the parade to come...and we waited...and we waited. After 5 minutes, M asked to go home. After 90 minutes, M was sitting "indian style" on the concrete, dozing. I woke her up when the police escort went by. She climbed up on my shoulders, somewhat lifeless, until she screamed "HORSES!" The budweiser wagon with clydesdales went by, and M was full of life.


The motorcade of buses went by, full of hawks players and their families, but M kept screaming for more horses. Hilarious!







While all this was going on, T had fallen out of her UNbukled backpack carrier. Her feet were up near her face, while her bootie was on the ground. She was screaming bloody murder, but I was unable to hear her. I still have no idea how long she lay there. I hope DCFS is not reading!

Well, it was still worth the trouble. We cheered on the team with thousands of fellow chicagoans, then headed on the train (and even got a seat). We were back in OP in no time.

What a morning!

1 comment: